That last few weeks I’ve been leading up to sharing on here some big news that is going on in our lives. Here it is- we were going to move to Abu Dhabi, UAE. Yes, I said ‘we were’ going to move. Here’s what happened… about 3 years ago my husband applied for a job at a new nuclear power plant being built over there. This past spring they contacted him and wanted us to resend his resume. He did and they interviewed him over the phone. Next step was getting and sending passports for our whole family. He was offered a job position and after lots of questions and emails back and forth and negotiations he accepted. He signed their conditional contract, they did a security clearance and then sent their final contract. Except between the signing of the two contracts several things changed about the situation that made the job no longer appealing or beneficial for our family and family values. I really don’t want to go into more detail than that, it just wasn’t going to work anymore. It’s been a crazy emotional roller coaster and why I have been writing about stress! There where several weeks where from one day to the next I didn’t know if we were moving to the other side of the world or not. There were several times that it changed from yes to no to yes to no. I’m so emotionally exhausted I physically feel like I have travel around the world and back!
It’s been really hard to have to go through the painful process of telling our family and friends we might be leaving and then at one point that we were not and then that we were leaving and then to have to go through the lengthy and emotional process of telling everyone we are not.
I’m ready to put this all behind us and go back to our normal life but honestly it’s been hard to focus and figure out where to start. My mind is still spinning trying to grasp how quickly things have changed and I scrambling to try and catch up on things that I put on hold for this year because we thought we were leaving. School started this week so I filled out the application form this morning for a local homeschool co-op.
We are going to continue and try and sell our house. We actually have someone looking at it tonight. We aren’t leaving the country but we still have a few reasons that it would be nice to relocate in the same area. We have 11 acres of a wooded hill side and we’d like to downsize on the amount of land we have to care for. We’d like a more manageable amount of land maybe 2-5 acres. My husband works odd hours and outages that last 100 days at a time so it would be really nice to be some where that I could manage taking care of the outside stuff by myself. We’d also like a yard that’s flat enough to have a swing set or trampoline for the kids. Unless we spent a lot of time and money terracing our land there really is no where to put in a garden which is something I’d like to do with the kids as they get older.
Next spring we will have had it on the market for a combined two years so if it’s not sold by then we may have to review if we’ll stay here. We typically have a couple showings a week and over time it gets draining to have to sometimes last minute get the house show ready and pack up the kids and go somewhere for a couple hours. That’s several months from now though so I better stop stressing myself out with things that haven’t happened yet!
Anyways, that’s my news! Lots of hype leading up to a big nothing! At least we’ve had a crash course in geography and the cultures of the middle east and international travel. Gotta look on the positives right?!