We’ve all been here right? Ever wake up and not feel like Mary Poppins or is that just me? Here’s a few strategies of mine for getting the work done.
- set a timer. Pick 5, 10 or 15 minutes. Clean until the timer goes off and then be done.
2. get dressed. It won’t get anything picked up but it will improve your mood and give you energy
3. make the beds. There can be clutter all around in a room but if the bed is made it creates a clean surface that makes the rest of the room look tidier. It may also motivate you to make the rest of the room look just as inviting.
4. clean something that has been bugging you just to make you happy, not because it is a priority. Example, every time I’ve walked into my bedroom lately I’ve noticed all the dust built up on the dressers. I haven’t been dusting because there are so many more important things to do right now. But taking the 5 minutes to do it made me feel good.
5. clear off the kitchen table and counter tops. Clean surfaces make all the difference! You will have a spot to sit and eat or work and once you do get around to doing the dishes it will be much easier to have them all in the sink. The other day our water was turned off so I just gave up on cleaning the kitchen. It became overwhelmingly messy. When I decided to just clear off the surfaces even though there was a mountain of dishes the kitchen actually didn’t look that bad.
6. open the shades and let in the sunshine. Light is energizing.
7. Drink a glass of water and take your vitamins. If you want your body to work for you, you have to give it what it needs.
8. think about making your house smell amazing and how much you will enjoy it. Take out the trash and lights some candles.
9.view folding laundry as a chance to sit down and rest your feet
10. put on some upbeat worship music and sing while you do the dishes! Feel the warm water on your hands, enjoy the smell of the bubbles and then lotion your hands afterwards.
11. pick a job that needs done and then pick a way to reward yourself when it’s completed
12. Think about different activities you have coming up in the next week and what clothes you and your family will wear. Do laundry so that you will be ready to enjoy those times
13. listen to a podcast. Have a particularly boring job that needs done? Give your mind something interesting to think about while your hands are busy.
14. call someone you’ve been wanting to talk to and visit while you pick up
15. prepare dinner earlier in the day and then load up the dishes you used to prepare the food and wipe up and messes so you can get a head start on being done in the kitchen and enjoy eating dinner in a clean kitchen
You can do this! Let me know in the comments, how do you motivate yourself to get to work on days when you don’t feel motivated to clean up the same messes all over again?